Monday, August 26, 2013

Spiders & Visions

So remember our pet spider Frederick? Well, he disappeared. Let me tell you the story.
So I was eating my lunch of tomato soup (go figure) and Hermana Williams was downstairs for some reason and she makes a weird noise so I was like, "What's wrong?" and she's like, "There is something really big down here and I think it is a spider." I don't know if I told you guys, but this house used to be infested with really freakishly large spiders because the house was uninhabited for like 3 years.
So I ran downstairs and sure enough, curled up on the floor on its back looking dead was this MASSIVE brown spider. I took a picture, but I forgot my camera today so I'll show you next week. Curled up it was as big as a quarter. We went back upstairs and then I was driven by some morbid curiosity to go look at it again. So I went to look at it and I blew on it and it's legs moved a little. Now, I didn't want to smash it because:
1. I didn't have shoes on and 
2. We wanted Hermana Brown to come identify it to see if it was the same type of spider.
And anyways, I just figured it was like a death spasm. but just in case, Hermana Williams suggested that we put a container over it, so we did.
Well, Hermana Brown identified it and then left it there and later I went down there to look at it again (I find spiders interesting) and it was back on its stomach. I moved the container and touched the spider with it and it didn't really move, so I put it back and grabbed the lid and then very hurriedly scooped it up and put the lid on. It was mostly dead and indeed died like two hours later, but I was just looking at it and playing with it and it was SO LARGE. 
Then it was suggested to feed it to Frederick, so we opened the window from the top and Frederick didn't move in his web. I looked away for a second and grabbed the container and dumped the big spider in and shut the window and Frederick was gone! It only took about three seconds, I don't know where he would have gone. Sad day. But not that sad because it is just a spider.
Anyways. 

Yeah, we had another lesson by Sister .. yesterday. But luckily there was minimal false doctrine preached today. She did make one of our recent converts cry though because she is a single mom and basically said you have to be married to get anywhere near the celestial kingdom. And then at the end she started telling us about a vision she had about Judgement and how Satan is going to be there telling people that the Plan of Salvation didn't work, but I believe that was the only false doctrine preached. 
It is amazing how many people in this ward say they've had visions. Like everyone in every lesson we teach or they are teaching is like, "I had a vision!" and they say it super dramatically and then usually go into this weird thing that they supposedly saw. It is strange. But you know what, if the vision tells them that the church is true, it works right? 
One kind of cool experience though. There is a woman named Maria Ramos that is an investigator of ours, she told us about this dream she had that was basically Lehi's dream about the tree of life. We read it to her out of the Book of Mormon and showed her a picture and she's like, "Yes! That was my dream!"
And then she started telling us about how she sees things sometimes before they happen. Like she was in her kitchen the other day, and she saw a bowl of rice that was on the counter, and she had a thought that it was going to fall. And then it fell. And we're just like, "...Ooookay. Well that dream about the tree, that's cool, huh?" And she sort of thinks she's a prophetess. But we're working on it.
So Enrique, our guy who was going to be baptized on the 31st, was in New York for 2 weeks and then yesterday he texted us and told us sorry, but he is moving there. But he's going to give us his address so we can send him missionaries there. But too bad I don't get to finish teaching him. He is golden, too. Oh well. 

Oh also transfers are this week. We hear whether we are staying here or moving tomorrow. Who knows. But I've almost survived a whole transfer! That's exciting.

I have been enjoying the mission more and more every day! Thank you so much for your support and love! I hear about so many missionaries home stories, being companions with the sister training leaders,and I have it awesome.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment