Monday, May 12, 2014

I am almost bald...

I cut off my hair!


So I pretty much said all I have to say yesterday when I talked to you all on the phone yesterday (Whoo!) So I'll just go ahead and answer some questions for the moment
I love my companion! She isn't as weird as I am, but she enjoys watching my freakishness and occasionally participates. We often sing lovely duets, especially of My Turn on Earth, which she has actually seen. I have been DYING to see that movie. It will probably be one of the first ones I watch when I get home, if I can find it. It may be difficult to find, I don't know. But the music has like sustained me throughout my mission. If you can get Saturday's Warrior, I'd love that too. Also the Prince of Egypt soundtrack (Its about Moses) and the song "No importa la distancia" by Ricky Martin. Just if you can/feel like it.
This week I've been watching a lot of the Conference DVDs that I have. This morning I watched a talk by Dallin H Oaks from April 2009, about the relationship between love and law. It was really interesting and a perfect answer to the question people always ask us about why God lets so many horrible things happen to good people and stuff like that. I really enjoyed it.
I don't know if there was one super spiritual experience that I've had this week different from the rest, but I always feel the Spirit so strong when I take the sacrament. It is a complete renewal, not only of our covenants with God, but becoming completely clean and perfect every single week. I was thinking about the words to a song on a Tenth Avenue North CD that I have that I think relates really well to the sacrament. I can't remember all of it now, but it talks about basically how we are more than our imperfections and weaknesses and problems because we've been remade. It was really cool.
Also yesterday we listened to a talk by Pres Monson from 2004 priesthood session about courage and I was just thinking about a few weeks ago during the sacrament, the deacons missed our row for the water and I should have stopped one of them as they were walking past, but I assumed that either they would get us or someone else would notice, but they didn't. So they walked back up to the sacrament table and were about to give their trays to the priest and I felt SO sad. Like just incomplete. I had no idea what to do. Obviously I shouldn't just like yell, "HEY WAIT!" but I couldn't think of anything. I was just praying something miraculous would happen, but I didn't have the courage at that moment to do anything about it but feel sad. No one else seemed to notice, and no one on our row seemed to notice either. There was a family with a few little fussing kids and an older couple that I thought was asleep. And at the end there was one other couple. Then the older man down the row looked up and waved at the Bishopric but they didn't see, which just made me more worried. Then the man stood up at waved both arms at the bishopric until they saw him; and signaled that we had been missed. The counselor stepped over to the deacons and tapped one on the shoulder and told him to take the water back to us. I felt SO relieved and grateful for the courage of that man and after I took the water I felt so much better.
I've thought a lot about that experience ever since and have just been thinking about how that courage meant a lot more to me than what the world counts as courage. He didn't do it for recognition or any sort of thing like that. It was just a quiet, nice old man who wanted to renew his covenant with God, and allowed everyone else on the row to do so as well. To me that is one of the most courageous things I've ever seen.
The members we were with yesterday are funny. Brother D, when I talked to him at the brunch they had for Mother's Day during church, didn't even look at my nametag, and he was like, "Tell me you're related to Parley Pratt!" and I was like, "...Yeah?" And he was like, "I knew it! You look just like him!" This was a bit surprising, as Parley lived like 200 years ago, but I thought it was interesting. I've never been told that before. And so I went back home and I looked at his picture and I didn't really see myself looking like him much, but I did actually notice that Dad looks a LOT like him. Just like the expression and some features. It was interesting. So I showed Brother D
a picture of Dad and he was so excited. He ADORES Parley Pratt. He knows SO much about him. He and I were talking about it over dinner and it made me want to learn more. Hopefully I'll be able to read the Autobiography.
Well, I'm out of time. But I love you! Have a great week!
Happy Mother's Day! :)
Love,

Hermana Pratt

No comments:

Post a Comment